REHEARSAL DIRECTOR to work with Joseph Toonga
Joseph Toonga originates from Cameroon and was raised in East London. Joseph makes and performs dance productions relevant to the here and now which are embedded in Hip Hop and inspired by real life stories. His craftsmanship and signature choreographic style challenges conventions commonly used in Hip Hop dance and shifts audience perceptions by addressing racial stigmas and societal stereotypes.
Last year Joseph was appointed Emerging Choreographer with The Royal Ballet and in Autumn 2021 was Movement Director for Fair Play, A Bush Theatre Direction by Ella Road.
Choreographer Joseph Toonga is looking for a dynamic, open and approachable Rehearsal Director for his latest creation from June – September 2022 with the hopes of extending the contract for the touring phase of the work.
This is an important multi-faceted role for an organised, energetic individual who is open to different ways of communicating and news ways of thinking about practice
Born to Exist: the woman I know forms Joseph’s third part of his Nationally acclaimed, Hip Hop Dance trilogy that invites change, and a sense of overcoming stigmas society holds towards ethnic minorities. Following from the success of Born to Manifest & Born to Protest the work will tour from September 2022 – May 2023 with other creative projects continuing from this tour.
Rehearsal Director duties
- Liaising with the rest of the team (Joseph, Executive Producer, performers & collaborators)
- Co-ordinating and supervising the rehearsals within the company
- Main point of call for the performers along with the producer
- Lead morning class
- Ensure that the performers know and are able to execute the movement material to the highest standard
- A desire to want to collaboratively
- An insight into Joseph’s previous activities and history
- Responsive, with good time keeping
- Rehearsal Director/ Artistic Assistant job experience, professional dance and teaching experience
- Strong people management and organisational skills
- A solid understanding of Hip Hop foundations
There will one meeting at Joseph’s studio at Redbridge Drama Centre w/c 23rd May 2022.
The role will start on Monday 6th June with a contract for 10 weeks, Monday – Friday working weeks. You will be expected to travel to Joseph’s office and studio at Redbridge Drama Centre.
Working weeks and locations are:
Week 1 – Monday 6th – Friday 10th June 2022 – London
Week 2 – Monday 13th – Friday 17th June 2022 – London
Week 3 – Monday 20th – Friday 24th June 2022 – London
Week 4 – Monday 27th – Friday 1st July 2022 – London
Week 5 – Monday 4th – Friday 8th July 2022 – London
Week 6 – Monday 11th – Friday 15th July 2022 – South East Dance
Week 7 – Monday 18th – Friday 22nd July 2022 – London
Week 8 – Monday 25th – Friday 29th July 2022 – London
Week 9 – Tuesday 2nd – Sunday 7th August 2022 – The Netherlands
Week 10 – Monday 26th – Friday 30th September 2022 – London
£500 per week x 10 weeks = £5,000
Travel, accommodation and per diems will be provided for the dates outside of London.
Please send an expression of interest in either written form (no more than 2 sides of A4) or A video (no more than 4 minutes) outlining the following:
– Tell us about any previous rehearsal director experience
– A bit about your practice
– what you think makes a good rehearsal director
– What interests you about working with Joseph Toonga
Deadline: Monday 16th May 2022
Joseph and his team will shortlist applicants to attend a session in the studio with Joseph on Wednesday 18th or Thursday 19th of May 2022.