LET'S SHINE MENTORSHIP
NEW & NOTABLE
A social project in Brazil by Emmanuele Uereaua, Claue Mayà & Fernanda Campo
Birthed in 2021 Young, Gifted & Black is a project that supports young black females from Favela's in Niterói city, Rio de Janeiro.
Aiming to raise awareness and/or bring them closer to their African heritage through afro-diasporic dances belonging to the afro-Brazilian culture.
Intense theoretical and corporal work of 3 months directed to the construction of self-knowledge, self-esteem and the teaching of seceral aphrodiasporic dance languages.
- Group dynamics
- History workshops on African and Aphrodiasporic cultures.
- Group therapy sessions with a psychologist
- Street dances, Hip Hop Dance classes, etc
- Bursaries for food and transportation
- culminating in live dance performances Brazil has a structural problem due to the slavery
This is why we need to teach about Diversity, Black Beauty and how knowledge of history beyond slavery decolonizes the mind.
- According to the Civil Registry Statistics report (by Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics – IBGE), in 2018 432,460 babies were born to teenage mothers
- Increase in femicide against black women, currently representing 72% of cases
- Only 10% of black women complete higher education
- Suicide rate among black youth and adolescents are 45% higher than amongst whites “When the black woman moves, the whole structure of society moves with her”.
WHY HIP HOP THEATRE